Thursday, January 28, 2010

When It Hurts So Bad!


I was thinking the other day and I must admit it made me laugh. Why is it when our relationships fail and we lose the love we thought would last forever, we try to find the most hurtful, gut busting, heart-wrenching songs to play over and over and over again? It’s like we want to relive the break up every 3-4 minutes through someone else’s story. Or 5 min and 09 secs if your playing it’s Brian McKnight "Kiss Your Love Goodbye” .

I know I’m not the only one who’s laid in an empty bathtub, wearing a pair of the draws he left behind, on a hunger strike, listening to Sade. Belting song lyrics through nonstop sobs, contemplating downing the bottle of bleach arms length away, just so the pain can end. Okay maybe that was just me but you feel what I’m saying.
Then, as if you weren’t already swimming around in an emotional cesspool, one of your friend drops by with a mix of the songs they listened to the last time they had their heart broken like a suicide soundtrack. What they’re basically saying is:
“If you really want to feel like sh*t listen to this. Okay, I’m leaving now and I Ieft a rusty razor right next to you, okay? I’ll check on you tomorrow. Have fun!”
I'm wondering... Do we secretly take pleasure in the pain of heartbreak? Do we listen to these songs because we find comfort in knowing somebody else has had their a** kicked by love? Do we suggest painful songs to friends as a shared experience or is it sweet revenge because we’ve told them “You need to stop messing with that fool,” over a million times but they never wanted to listen? Then they’re calling you at 3 am like “you won’t believe what he/she did,” like you didn’t have work the next day.
Yeah I’ve been there on. Both sides.
So I’m sending this one out to everyone who’s had their heart broken or if you’re going through it right now. My suggestion is get out of those old draws, put some water in that tub and wash away your stale a**. Dig deep and paint on a smile, turn on some feel good music and feel good because life is still beautiful.
(Repost from former Blog for your enjoyment)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers